Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fay Continued

At 14:00 Saturday the latest track moved the storms path west with no part of the cone touching the Bahamas; looks like a new plan.
Food, fuel, water, systems checks and I'm on my way to the Bahamas.
Hectic, to busy to be scared, I made the sea buoy by 16:30. The wind was on the nose at 10 kts, of course it was. Just before encountering the Gulf Stream, still in the shallows the port engine died, of course it died. Anchor down in 22 foot of water over white sand, that part is good. Now the discovery phase, down in the hot as heck engine room I discover a fouled fuel filter and raw water skimmer. Three hours later all is good but I'm too tiered to face a night time passage of the Gulf Stream.
I woke at 05:00 after a bumpy night. While making coffee I click on the Sat TV for the latest up date. The usual, a local TV personality doing a man in the street interview with a local from Key West who said "what storm", ya really couldn't say he was going out for an early walk, or just coming home, when he spoke you could tell he was still out.
The track continues to look good for me to go to Bimini so anchor up and off we go for yet another Gulf Stream crossing in light north east air with three foot waves also on the nose, this proves to be an uneventful crossing as I approach Bimini at 14:00 Sunday.
More to follow,
Mark

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Well, it is about time we hear an update, Captain!!! Be safe and keep in touch......Peggy