Because no one knows the track for sure, I can't do my usual hurricane plan, which is to sail away to a safe area.
I have been in the Nassau area for about two weeks and watching this storm for all that time, I didn't know where to go during those two weeks; here we are two days before I get run over by it and there is still nowhere to run to.
I checked all the usual places in Nassau to hole up, but either I didn't like one place or another or a few I would have liked were closed to me. Many boat owners here pay for rights in the best Marinas, for storm slips. They pay weather or not they actually have to use them for a hurricane or not. So the Marinas I would have preferred were sold out.
Without knowing which islands may be spared or which will have a better go of it, as of today, decision day, it doesn't matter. I have decided to sail for Chub Cay 40 miles to the northwest. The Marina there is new, located in the interior of the island offering a bit of wind protection and complete wave and surge protection. The marina was designed for mega yachts so the equipment, pilings, and docks should be very strong and in good repair. I checked yesterday and found that there were only ten boats there; I think they have about one hundred slips.
Such as it is, that's my plan. I'm about 15 miles from land fall at Chub Cay which is located at the southern tip of the Berry Islands. If Hanna does not develop from a tropical storm to a Cat I, I'll stay onboard; if it does develop I'll find shelter for myself on land.
More to follow as things progress.
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com