Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Mid Gulf Stream

ZCZC SEAMAIL Ship v6.0 Xaxero Software
MAIL FOR: ships log
TRACKING: 1145453318
Wednesday, April, 19, 2006, 13:38 UTC
Mid Gulf Stream

Captains note:
Yes I'm back in the water, headed for Nassau. I just watched the big red orb set over Florida while enjoying a cup of Cuban coffee and listening to Beethoven on XM radio.
There is such a contrast leaving the hustle bustle, noise, dirt, dust, pressure and financial hemorrhage of a boat yard to this, the mid Gulf Stream world. Alone and in silence I'm getting familiar with the sailing characteristics of Stray Cat again, the movement of her and the sea; than getting to know me, the sailor again. The fifteen days on land seemed such a long time.
My mind starts to wander as the pressure subsides. I think about my future, leaving an established charter business I worked very hard to create for unknown challenges and adventures; a bit unnerving. I'm comfortable here, I know people on most islands of the Bahamas, and many are friends who have shared their table, drinks and stories of their vast Island County. There was the long relationship with the blond Bahamian lady standing at the helm on the web site too.
Being comfortable is a good thing, being too comfortable is the antithesis of being a sailor.
Many of you who have sailed with me as guest and friends know my next adventure will be to leave these wonderful islands I know so well to sail the entire Caribbean basin. I don't have a big need to see the Virgins again, too many charter boats, little room to anchor, cruise ships and I think the natives have seen enough tourists.
I'm planning to sail to the Grenadines, Trinidad, some of the islands of Venezuela and Colombia, the ABC islands, generally the islands of the eastern Caribbean. I'll also visit Central America and the Yucatan peninsular.
A real motivator has been the last two Hurricane seasons; eight storms found Florida, three of them went right over the top of me. Right, I get the message, get down around latitude 7 and miss the parade of storms.
Well you have just sailed 80 miles across the big bad Gulf Stream with me; the Bermuda triangle and pirates of the Caribbean. (Captain Ron) You also made it through some bad spelling and grammar.
We are leaving 4,000 feet of water for 14 feet as we pass onto the Great Bahama Banks. The sea is running 5 foot, the wind is now 20kts out of the south, the air temp is seventy nine and we are making about eight kts. It's two AM and I see the hazy lights of Bimini which we will leave to the south at about ten miles.
The other big red orb is just rising out of the sea with a thin cloud obscuring part of its middle; it looks like a Halloween moon. I'm going to prepare for the approach.
Thanks for coming along and keeping me awake.

Oh, if you would like to join me along the way of my next adventure, there will be more detail on the web site in the next week or two. If you do, you will have to stand watch, navigate; set sail, cook, and all ship duties. If you can't do those things, I have been told that I'm a good instructor. The fee will be affordable. Drop in where you like, see a rain forest, water falls; a pyramid.

No comments: