Thursday, April 27, 2006

Georgetown, Exumas

ZCZC SEAMAIL Ship v6.0 Xaxero Software
MAIL FOR: ships log
TRACKING: 1146180618
Thursday, April, 27, 2006, 19:31 UTC
George Towne,Exumas

Guest Pam Thursday:

We didn't have any particular mission today other than to enjoy our last day at sea, and I think we accomplished that very nicely! Although we keep getting threats of rain, it was another scorching hot day! There was some welcome cloud cover at times, but for the most part it was sunny and hot. We have all had more than enough sun, but it's so nice to sit out front as the boat is cruising/sailing along, so it's hard to go undercover.

Captain Mark found a couple more spots that looked like they would be good for lobster hunting (since these men are still determined to have more to go with the one caught a couple days ago). And the good news is that they speared a couple more! They were small and there weren't as many as they would have liked, but three is better than one! The best part was that Steve was nice enough to let me take a picture of one of them before he tore the tail off and threw the rest in the ocean. Thanks Steve!

As I was snorkeling (and dragging the boat for the great white hunters) Steve spotted a sea turtle and called me over. He was very cute! I followed him for quite a while as he swam around. Then just when I was heading over for Dean and Phil I spotted a larger fish than what we were used to seeing. Then it quickly crossed my mind that perhaps it was a barracuda - yikes!!!!! I swam over to Steve and told him that I think I saw a barracuda. He took a look and confirmed it was true. So I FLEW into the dingy!!! I know that everyone keeps saying that they won't bother us, but I'm not willing to hang around and be the exception! Enough snorkeling for me for the day.

Dean and Steve eventually joined me in the dingy, and we went over to visit Bill who was happy snorkeling a ways off. (He just loves being out there - he is usually the first one with his snorkel on!) Bill continued to snorkel after we assured him that the barracuda was quite a ways away.

Later Dean suggested that I drive the boat for a while. At first I was reluctant, but Captain Mark was great about educating me on the basics of steering as well as the navigation equipment. Wow - the navigation system is amazing! It's somewhat similar to what I have in my car, but much more complex. It shows the water depth at every location, the placement of coral and rocks, etc. Oh, and another screen shows where other boats are located. I spent more time looking at the screens than I did out at the sea. It was kind of nerve-racking at times, but of course Captain Mark was directing me (and was ready to take over at any second!!). Fun fun.

Pilot
Kayak and jungle hunt to house
Scavenger hunt
Sail -

No comments: