Saturday, April 22, 2006

Hog Cay, Exuma

ZCZC SEAMAIL Ship v6.0 Xaxero Software
MAIL FOR: ships log
TRACKING: 1145751625
Saturday, April, 22, 2006, 20:21 UTC
Hog Cay Exuma

Guest Rhonda and Bill from Washington,
here out in the ocean with Straycat III in the Exumas. Today was awesome, but before I tell you about today, let me back up a day or two. First night out, Rhonda and I sleep out under the stars on the trampoline. The gentle rocking of the Straycat must be like what a baby must feel inside the mother's wombsecurity and love. The stars were a wondrous site not having city lights to fade them out. During the night I woke up and could see that the sky was getting bright to the east. I assumed that the sun was coming to take over the night sky. I dozed off again and when I awoke next to my surprise it was not the sun at all. It was the moon and even though it was only half full it was bright and beautiful, what a sight! It also meant I was able to get a little more shut eye. When we all, (there are 4 couples on this sail trip) awoke and got ready to go we travel to the northern end of the Exumas to start our sail down these 100 miles of Islands. To get here we had to power our way 30 miles across open ocean, what a treatI'm one of those nuts that likes to sit up on the front port bow and ride it out. Just like on a bronco horse or a rocking roller coaster, and when the waves come over that makes the ride all the better. Disney could learn from this. At the end of this ride we came into a beautiful cove, snorkeled, and swam. While I was snorkeling I was with a Southern Stingray which came up close to see what I wasyou see when I snorkel I always have my security blanket with me under my armpitsone of the swimming pool noodles. I'm sure it's quite a sight for all the critters to see a 55 year old man with water wings, but hey I at least know I won't drown. These friends we are traveling with really know how to put out the food spread. The first night we had one of the best steak dinners I ever had. Than at this cove we had Cornish game hen dinner. After dinner we had good conversation and once again a beautiful rocking night in gentle breezes as we all sleep. Today we went out on the eastern side of the Islands in the open ocean to fish, the seas were a little rough but what fun it was to ride the waves again. By the waywe are having fresh Mahi Mahi (Dorado) tonight. From the fishing we went sailing, how wonderful it was to cut through the waves without the power motors. I recommend sitting in the front bow side and let it ride. We are sitting in a cove at the moment, Rhonda and I stayed close to the boat swimming around in this absolutely all colors of blue wateryes with our noodles. The rest of the group took the skiff and went to check out a water type park and saw lot's of lobster. Later in out trip I'm hoping that we are fortunate to find more lobster outside of a water park preserve. It looks like our fish of the day is about ready to feed us so will sign off. One more comment before I go. Rhonda and I go to Hawaii every other year and in all those years, over the last 20 years, have I seen the coral and fish life that I have seen in just the last 2 days here, and we have 6 more glorious days to go.

No comments: