Friday, September 12, 2008

West Palm Beach

I have been at anchor here for a few days, visiting with my friends Mike and Sandi. Today is the first day that the winds from Ike have subsided, I'm very glad not to be anywhere near the Gulf of Mexico.

This is a note of interest for the "gonnabe" live aboard's. Since installing a new refrigerator and sperate freezer a while back I have been thinking of ways to use the space left vacant by the removal of the old, so called "holdover" freezer space. It's a fairly big space that I had thought to install a drop in 12 vdc refrigerator system for about $1,200, when all said and done.
The problem with boat refrigerator systems are, they are very expensive, require a lot of installation and reconstruction and whatever food product touches the evaporator plate freezes. Added to that they consume about 6 amps DC per hour.
Capt. Mike told me of a system, that in appearance looks like a Coleman cooler, but has a self contained cooling system that is powered through a 12 vdc cigar lighter plug. The system employs a small amount of ammonia and two small cooling fans. On start up it uses about 3 amps, then drops down a little after it has run awhile.
This system is not a refrigerator so there is no evaporator to freeze product, there's just cool air going in the box. It will only take the inside air down to 40 f below ambient, so if the air temperature in the galley is 80 f then the temperature in the box will be about 41 f, perfect for produce or juce. The price is really good at $100.
I have spent 4 days in reconstruction and installation, (I'm not a technician) I installed the cooler box in one piece and guess what; it works.
Mark

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: