Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Hanna

I didn't write yesterday, I slept the day away. When I made it to Bimini the wind and sea state of the Gulf Stream were so favorable I sailed right through to Miami. I arrived after midnight having sailed 135 miles from Chub in 16 hours; just a bit better then 8 kts.
Hanna is due to; forecasted to, guessed to, blow through here Thursday/Friday with lots of rain, the wind maybe 35 kts with guest. If all that holds true I'll be happy I sailed here. If the track wobbles a bit to the west, conditions will worsen; I'll run for the Keys.
Ike is projected to be here in the south east Florida area the Friday after next, if the projection holds true, I guess I'll sail north.
I had a problem with receiving emails for a day and a half, that caused a lot of concern for all the people who are keeping up with my adventures, not to mention my inability to get- up to date weather. Some sailing friends down in Nassau where I had just sailed from, called the Chub Cay dock master to see if I arrived safely, they wouldn't have known that I didn't check in, I just anchored in the cove for some sleep and sailed on for Bimini.
First step was to trouble shoot the HF radio, the automatic tuner, the Pactor III modem, power source and antenna system. After several hours of one eye on sailing, the other on the radio systems; I was sure there was nothing wrong with the onboard systems, I didn't know what to do next.
Labor day morning I was trying to recall when I signed up for the sail mail system that makes everything work. My guess was almost one year to the day when I was sailing in Panama. Sail mail is a wonderful program and worth the $250 per year; seems if you don't pay the fee the systems program automatically shuts off your in box (no mail) but you can send. I took a shot at sending an email to operations with credit card info. Three hours later, on labor day, I was turned back on, stress relief.
When the system came back up I had a huge number of emails, I have been working on them, just a few more to go.
The hurricane season is really building in number of named storms; I have already run from three and there are at least three more headed this way. Historically the season peaks on September tenth; Yeah well, they are lined up like freight trains, from the west coast of Africa to Miami. I don't see how it can get worse, so it has to get better, right?
Mark

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: