Sunday, February 03, 2008

From Florida to the Bahamas

I stared sailing from Miami for Nassau yesterday in a flat sea making about 85 miles before getting sleepy. I anchored off the normal sailing routes here on the Bahamas banks in eight foot of crystal clear water.
I'm now motoring into a light east breeze at about 7 knots SOG, it's peaceful out here alone with a sliver of a low lying moon and more stars then can be imagined. I'm in a reflective mood in this peaceful setting, seems I just got use to being back in the states, there's a lot to get use to after the Caribbean/Central America cruise. Now I'm off to another very familiar country.
People seem to impact me the most in this almost constant change life style I live. The last cruise stated in Miami with a number of people I know there stopping by to wish me well in the mist of the chaos of activity that is an inherent part of launching.
They asked lots of questions of me but most were trip related; how far, how long, when will you get back. At the time I wasn't sure I would be back at all. I don't think I realized how many friends and acquaintances I have in the greater south Florida area.
I can imagine that normally someone there might say "have you seen Mark", no I think he's out on charter, he'll be back in a day or two. No doubt my many friends on the various islands in the Bahamas say something like "no mon he's down island, be back soon".
Added to those good people are the hundreds of charter guests that have sailed with me. Many of them come back so I get to see and hear about the changes in their lives, a lot of them keep up with me through this log and email, and some of them have become close friends.
I think that most people who know me think of me in terms of interactions on their tuff so to speak; their place, while having some notion of the places and people I visit elsewhere. That's ok since I suppose I think of them that way as well.
Many people make flattering comments that suggest that someone who can do all of what I do alone is special, they would be wrong in my case, I know I couldn't manage this boat and charter business without the help, encouragement and financial support of so many.
So while I'm still excited by my sailing adventures, when the memory of an island or place starts to become fuzzy, I always recall the people.
Mark

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: