Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Nassau, Bahamas

I have been sailing in the Bahamas for two weeks now enjoying the clearest water anywhere and seeing old friends. There have been two complex weather systems working down the Florida peninsula for the last five days. The spin off here has been very strong winds in fact they are so strong I have opted to stay on the boat rather then to launch the dink and go to town.
The weather has been a wind event till today now its wind and rain. Florida, one hundred and eighty miles west, is on an all day tornado watch today with flooding. Both Florida and the Bahamas are in drought so all is good except if like me, you want to sail to Florida.
The first evening in this anchorage (down town Nassau) a 45' Mono sailboat broke anchor, then both his main engine starter motor and windless failed when he needed them most. The boat ended up behind me on the public beach on its side. By happenstance two Bahamian guys I know came by, at high tide about 10pm we towed him off in strong winds.
Around 4pm yesterday the Bahamas custom/immigration authorities boarded every boat in the anchorage, they were fast and polite, don't know what they were looking for but they were on a mission.
I may be able to sail tomorrow which will get me back for the biggest boat show in the world (I think) the Miami in the water boat show. I haven't been to a show in years but it is fun to look at boats and see what new ideas might work on your boat, something like seeing new model homes.
Since I have three weeks off I would like to fly to Phoenix to see my son and granddaughter Ocean, she will be three soon.
Mark

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: