Monday, June 23, 2008

Six Shillings Cays

Today I'm sailing from High Borne Cay where we spent the night in a beautiful cove with white beaches and lots of coral to explore, to Green Cay north of Rose Island.
Today has been picture perfect with a south east wind at 15 we have been sailing at 7 to 9 knots.
Earl hooked and lost, at the last moment, a Cero Mackerel, my favorite. We have both lines out now and are hoping for the best. Three days ago Earl landed a blue fin tuna which we all enjoyed at dinner follow by fish taco's the next day, really good.
Two days ago while sailing through Pipe Creek we were surrounded by thunderstorms but not really in any down pours, just on the fringes. The lightening and thunder were spectacular to see and hear off in the not to far distance.
Just as I was navigating a very deice channel with coral on both sides Earl, who had been helping to read the water, pointed his finger to direct me and seemingly a lightening bolt shot out from his finger tip. Booom! I could hear the electrical crackle, and then I felt the concussion in my chest and extremely loud thunder, wow that was close, about a quarter of a mile. Ok Earl, watch where you point that finger.
Later in the day I noticed that the music had stopped, that's when I discovered the lightening strike had ruined the audio system and the satellite radio receiver. As expensive as all that will be to replace it could have destroyed the radar, sailing instruments, auto pilot and chart plotter, computers, plus the TV's. I'm also thankful that my two new IPODS were not connected.
I'll be starting my approach to Green Cay in a few minutes so I better get back to the helm.
Mark

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: