Saturday, June 28, 2008

Great Bahama Banks

04:30, Cat and Gun Cay,s of the Bimini chain are 40 miles West of my current position, that's where the transition from the shallow waters of the Great Bahamas Banks, (80 miles of 10 to 20 foot depths) to the Golf Stream waters occurs. The Stream separates the Bahamas and Florida with deep waters of about 2,500 feet that start and end abruptly. The stream is 50 miles wide in this location, flowing North between 1.0 and 3.5 kts. Today's conditions are the same as yesterday with the exception that there is no wind yet, but the forecast has it east at 15 kts.
I anchored up at about 19:00 last night in 15 feet of water on a white sand bottom, had dinner, a shower and watched an HBO movie for thirty seconds I guess, since I don't remember it. The wind picked up at about 02:00 so I got up for a look around, satisfied that all was well, I enjoyed the stars for awhile then went back to sleep. I'm well rested and will make Miami at 17:00.
Mark

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: