Friday, June 27, 2008

Nassau to Miami

I set sail at 09:30, 11 miles east of Nassau at Rose Island where I spent the night at anchor and had a very nice dinner in the good company of Jan and Wes aboard their 42 foot Norseman Catamaran, Dances with Dolphins.
I went out there, the opposite direction from Miami, to exchange my Dink and outboard for cash. Carla J is an American girl I have known several years, she's a Chef Mate and charter broker, her real thing though is diving. Added to that she and her significant other Peter house sit a charming island cottage with a beautiful view and white beach with a great stand of coral a few hundred feet off the beach; tuff life. Anyway, they have a dock on the south side of the island and beach on the north so Carla wanted a boat she could leave on the beach side. I had planned to purchase a new dink when I get back to Miami so timing is everything.
I'm single handing this 175 mile passage, I did have a few friends that would have liked to come along but I was not sure of departure dates/ times and they are normal people, you know like - they have real jobs with real bosses kinda thing, so timing is everything.

It's 14:00, Rose Island is now 70 miles behind me, the sea is running 2 feet on my stern, the wind is 10 kts also on the stern, the air temp is 85 and the sea surface is 82, the viability is unlimited, as close to perfect as I can hope for. I have the mainsail up with two diesels running at 2000 rpm. Not using much fuel but making about 8 kts.
People often ask me how I can single hand, is it scary, do I worry about pirates and what do I do about sleep? Do I just leave the boat on auto pilot and sleep while the boat moves on through the night? These questions have been asked so often I think it's time to answer them, I'll do it in tomorrow's log.
Mark

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: