Sunday, May 22, 2005

Days off

Capt. note
Capt. Mark
Well I'm back in Coconut Grove, FL. For those yachties out there who wonder
about what I do when I'm not chartering, here is what I have been doing
since the day after my return from the Bahamas.
Removed the high pressure fuel control of the starboard engine and sent it
out to the lab for rebuild, installed a new microwave/convection oven,
installed five new mattress, ten new pillows, replacing all four 12vdc
distribution panels and one 120 vac, ordered a new stack pack sail cover,
installed a new inner forestay, installed one new Magma gas grill, installed
15 new roll stops and gaskets to port lights and hatches. I will try to
complete the remodeling of the navigating station and install a new radar
before leaving for Nassau Wednesday.
That's how I spent my days off, about sixty hours and money, about $8,000.
It's all kind of normal Captain stuff.
After my next charter in the Bahamas I have a real week off. I will be the
guest of my dentist and his wife, Ross and Debra Nash at an island resort
near Hilton Head, NC. It's so nice to have such good friends but it presents
a problem. Amongst "live-aboard sailors" such as myself, semi-formal dress
code is considered to be deck shoes and shorts and for formal we add socks,
I think I have a problem. Add to that, in the back of my mind, wait I better
say in the very front of my mind, I was thinking the resort might be an
excellent opportunity for me to meet a lady but then they probably have
requirements we live-aboards don't know or have forgotten. Sometimes it's
hard to be a sailor. Maybe I should vary the way I dress each day; say one
day deck shoes and shorts, the next day Tevas and shorts, or maybe I should
consult with a land person. If you have any suggestions let me know.

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.801 / Virus Database: 544 - Release Date: 11/24/04

No comments: