Monday, December 01, 2008

Miami, Cat, Chub to Nassau

Time to get caught up again, a couple of weeks ago I was trying to decide to cancel a short charter in Nassau because the last hurricane of the season was headed for Cuba and might have gone on to the central Bahamas. The storm slammed into Cuba as a Cat IIII about 160 miles from my location. The upper air, (shear) and the high mountains tore it up, so the charter was on again. Debra chef mated for me so the food was great and the weather was fine.
Deb sailed back to Miami with me in some heavy weather- but great sailing -I think she wanted more weather, go figure.
I just finished a trip last night with a very special family of five from Bulgaria and Deb who was the able chef again. This family was just so darn nice I should have paid them for there company. A high point was the last night at Hurricane Hole when Diko's Dad Balcho started singing Bulgarian folk music. He has a very deep and strong singing voice that was heard through the anchorage and enjoyed by all who could hear. Diko will post a ship's log entry in a few days telling all about the holiday aboard Stray Cat with his family.
I got to sleep at about 9:00 last night and was up at five to get ready for this passage today to Nassau. I had plenty of help Robert, Deb and Candace all helped with laundry, beds, floors, food, fuel, water and such. I have two days to get to Nassau for my next trip.
Candyce is aboard and will Chef mate for me then fly out.
We are mid Gulf Stream on the back side of a cold front, the sea is running about seven feet and we are under sail making about 8 knts, the sky is clear. The sunsets in Miami and the Bahamas are legendary; looking back at Miami it's easy to see why, tonight's example is awesome. .
Mark

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: