Friday, December 01, 2006

Bimini, Bahamas - Capt. Note

I'm at Bimini this morning after what might be the hardest Gulf Stream crossing I can remember I need to be in Nassau on the 1st.
There is a high off shore of South Carolina which of course spins to the right and has set up very strong easterly winds in south Florida and the Bahamas. Naturally I'm trying to sail to the east; the waves were about 8 to ten feet last night with winds of 20 to 30 knots on the nose, the waves were coming over the top of the boat; needless to say I was very wet.
The waves were short duration and steep which really tossed Stray Cat around. One of the two hatch latches over my bed broke as the weight of thousands of gallons of sea water took its toll. I was glade to have five bedrooms last night since there was no way I would be sleeping in mine.
The auto pilot felt the abuse and also quit so today I will be hand steering my way to Nassau with the wind still on the nose but it has subsided to around 15.


Mark

No comments: